Public lectures & readings
The conference offers book-lovers and writers in the Napa Valley and North San Francisco Bay Area a wonderful opportunity to hear readings and lectures by world-class authors of poetry and fiction.
The lineup of readings and lectures for the 2016 conference is as follows:
Readings start with a wine reception at 7 p.m. The evening’s program will begin at 7:30.
Sunday, July 24 – Major Jackson and Yiyun Li
Upper Valley Campus, Napa Valley College, St. Helena | Map
Monday, July 25 – Brian Teare and Lan Samantha Chang
Beringer Vineyards, St. Helena | Map
Tuesday, July 26 – Brenda Hillman and Charles Baxter
Merryvale Vineyards, St. Helena | Map
Wednesday, July 27 – Camille Dungy and Ron Carlson
Domaine Chandon, Yountville | Map
The cost is $25 per lecture, four lectures for $90, or all eight lectures for $175. Admission is $15 per lecture for students with a valid ID, and is free for conference attendees, community housing hosts, and donors.
All lectures are held at the Upper Valley Campus of Napa Valley College in St. Helena (view map).
Monday, July 25
- 9 a.m.: Poetry – Brenda Hillman: “Some Live Things Poetry Can Do: (Remembering C.D. Wright)”
- 1:30 p.m.: Fiction – Ron Carlson: “My Favorite Sentence in all of Hemingway…and in all of Annie Proulx … Among Other Notes on Craft
Tuesday, July 26
- 9 a.m.: Poetry – Camille Dungy: “Art for Life’s Sake: On the Necessity of Politically-Engaged Poetry”
- 1:30 p.m.: Fiction – Yiyun Li: “Tolstoy’s Thousand Eyes: What Can We Learn from War and Peace”
Wednesday, July 27
- 9 a.m.: Poetry – Major Jackson: “The Invisible Architecture of Poetry”
- 1:30 p.m.: Fiction – Lan Samantha Chang: “The Importance of the Inner Life”
Thursday, July 28
- 9 a.m.: Poetry – Brian Teare: “A Song in the Theater of Reason: Lyric Thinking”
- 1:30 p.m.: Fiction – Charles Baxter: “Notes on the Dramatic Image”