A limited number of grants are available to cover all or part of the conference participation fee, with awards made on the basis of merit and need.
We offer grants at the following levels:
- Full fee grants: Recipients pay only the $25 reading fee and $50 community housing fee.
- Half fee grants: Recipients pay the $25 reading fee, $50 community housing fee plus $450.
- Partial fee grants: Recipients pay the $25 reading fee, $50 community housing fee plus $600.
- Community grants: Recipients pay the $25 reading fee, $50 community housing fee plus $800.
Specific grants include:
- The Defilippis-Rosselli Grant, a full-fee grant awarded to a fiction applicant whose work demonstrates a sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
- The Chris McCarthy Grant, a full-fee grant awarded to a poetry applicant.
In addition, we offer full-fee grant opportunities in cooperation with the University of Iowa and the University of Michigan to students enrolled in their graduate writing programs, as well as to students of the Institute of American Indian Arts (IAIA). If you’re currently a student in one of those programs and are considering applying to the conference, please consult with your academic advisor.